SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Sidney Schools

According to the "Memoirs of the Miami Valley", a state law passed in 1853 provided for the establishment of schools for colored children, but no separate school was built for them until 1878 which was abandoned in 1895 as the "Black Laws" had been repealed. The colored school was located near the north-south alley east of the corner of 304 S. West Avenue.

Sutton’s "1883 History of Shelby County", in a brief description of the schools in Sidney details, "...Prior to 2d[sic] day of January, 1857, all the schools of Sidney were taught in private houses or churches in different parts of the town, except one that was taught in a log house erected on a school lot given by the proprietor of the town (Charles Starrett). They were supported, for the most part, by private subscription."  Sutton continues, "At the present time there are 800 scholars enrolled, with an average attendance of 675. There are sixteen schools in all. Twelve in the High School building, two in the South Main Street Primary, and one colored school. The Catholics also have a school."

"The Sidney Journal", on September 25, 1885, reported, "J. E. Moorland, teacher of the Negro school in Sidney, is sick, and has gone to his home at Coldwater, Mercer County, for a few weeks. There will be no school in the meantime."

On Friday, February 27, 1885, the same local newspaper records, "...children of school age in the Sidney school district: First Ward - white males, 149; white females, 154; black females, 4; total, 307. Second Ward - white males, 158; white females, 177; black females, 1; total, 336. Third Ward - white males, 151; white females, 139; black males, 9; black females, 2; total, 301. Fourth Ward - white males, 165; white females, 159; black males, 19; black females, 11; total, 354. East Sidney (on the earlier site of Dingmansburg, and a separate town from Sidney, located across the Miami River in the Brooklyn Avenue area) white males, 58; white females, 49; black females, 2.; Total 109. Total, 1407."

'Black History' segment written in June, 1998 by David Lodge

 

[ Back to Black History Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information