SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Greene Ville Treaty

In 1795, 1,130 chiefs and warriors met in Fort Greene Ville to make peace and to sign the Greene Ville Treaty giving all the lands south of the Greene Ville Treaty Line, which bisected Shelby County, to the settlers and the lands north of the line to the Indians.

The most important aspect of this treaty was that the northwest part of the Ohio territory would belong to the Indians and the southern part would belong to the whites. It ceded 16,930,417 acres and involved eleven northwestern Indian tribes. The Greene Ville Treaty Line went through Shelby County, Ohio, starting a little south and west of Ft. Loramie. Crossing from west to east, it entered at what is now McLean township and exited at Salem township. This treaty signaled the beginning of real settlement activity for Shelby County. greenvilletreatymarker.gif (30837 bytes)

As evidence of good faith, the Indian tribes ceded lands along the treaty line, with one tract six miles square at or near Peter Loramie’s store in Shelby County. The Indians were to receive $20,000 and a perpetual annuity of $9,500. This treaty had more to do with the abandonment of Ohio for lands and reservations beyond the Mississippi than anything else. The Greene Ville Treaty was signed, by signature or mark, by many of the notables of the day, both Indian and white leaders. A future, prominent, name absent from the document, unnoticed by the American contingent, but of grave concern to Blackhoof and the other chiefs, was that of the Shawnee’s new rising star, Tecumseh.

As detailed in A.B.C. Hitchcock’s "History of Shelby County," the substance of the treaty is as follows: The boundary line established May 3, 1795, between the United States and the Indians (Wyandots, Miamis, Delawares, Shawnees, Chippewas, Weas, Pottawatomies, Eel Rivers, Kickapoos, Plankinshaws and Kaskaskias) began at the mouth of Cuyahoga river, and thence up the same to the portage, between the Tuscarawas branch of the Muskingum (River); thence down the branch to the crossing place above Fort Lawrence; thence westerly to a fork of that branch of the Great Miami (River) running into the Ohio (River) at or near which fork stood Loramie’s store, and where commenced the portage between the (Maumee River) and the St. Mary's River...; thence a westerly course to Fort Recovery...;thence southwesterly in a direct line to the Ohio (River) so as to intersect that river opposite the mouth of the (Kentucky) River."

'Indian' segment written in December, 1997 by David Lodge

 

[ Back to Indians Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information