SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Amos Press

Several companies in Sidney, Ohio, now employing hundreds of workers, trace their roots to Sidney's industrial past. 

Amos Press, Inc. today employs more than 300 people. The company, now at 911 Vandemark Road, has a long and proud heritage in this community. On January 28, 1876, James O. Amos purchased the "Shelby County Democrat." He moved its location from North Ohio Avenue across from the Ohio building to South Ohio Avenue where the People's Federal newest addition is located.

Because of continued growth, the old United Presbyterian Church building on East Court Street, across from the courthouse, was purchased and torn down to make room for the three-story building that was to become the home of "The Sidney Daily News" for 81 years. In 1893, the operations moved into the building.

Amos published the community's first daily newspaper, the "Sidney Daily News", in 1891. Amos Press has grown steadily, acquiring other trade magazines and businesses such as "Coin World," "Cars & Parts," "Linn's Stamp News," and "Scott Stamp Monthly."

In the past two years, the company has expanded its ‘local market’ by acquiring several newspapers in Dayton, including Bowling-Moorman Publications. Amos Press’ total organization now publishes 17 newspapers and shoppers, (including "The Sidney Daily News"), reaching more than 180,000 households in the Miami Valley. In 1996, the company consolidated operations and modernized its facility on Vandemark Road.

sidneyprintingandpublishingcompany.gif (56787 bytes)
Taken in the late 1890s, this photo shows the Sidney Printing and Publishing Company
building as it appeared a few years after completion.

sidneyprintingoneastcourtstreet.gif (94861 bytes)
The news building on East Court Street is shown here as it appeared in the 1960s. It underwent several expansions
and remodelings before the Sidney Printing and Publishing Company moved out in 1974.
The building was later torn down and the site is now occupied by Star Bank of Sidney.

Industry segment written in January, 1998 by Rich Wallace

 

[ Back to Industry Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information