SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Cigars

The 1870s saw the development of another interesting industry.  The first cigar factory belonged to Herman Tappe, Sr.  In 1874, he would organize perhaps Sidney's best known early band called the Tappe Silver Star Cornet Band.  It was composed of teen-age boys/young men losramosadvertisement.gif (15389 bytes)and was quite successful in its day.  The band played at the dedication and laying of the cornerstone for the Monumental Building.  According to "The Sidney Daily News," music by Tappe's Band was the climatic item on any public program of the time.  It was felt that if Professor Tappe's cigar manufacturing and health had been equal to his personal popularity and real ability as a musician, "more might have been written." Herman Tappe, Sr., died in 1883 at the age of 33 and his body was accompanied to Graceland Cemetery by his band, 'New Orleans style."  His son, Herman Patrick Tappe, would become one of the nation's leading clothing designers.  The Tappe Cigar Factory was located where the Bank One drive-in window now stands on North Main Avenue.

The Deisel-Weimer Company of Lima opened a branch business here in 1912, continuing its operations until 1925. They manufactured the ‘San Felice’ brand of cigar. Over 200 Sidney employees, including many women, wrapped cigars for the company in the Woodward building which was located where Mutual Federal now stands on Ohio Avenue. When the Deisel-Weimer plant closed, local investors founded the Los Ramos Cigar Company at the same location. Its advertisements boasted the company made "the cigar you can inhale." After a fire destroyed the Woodward building, Los Ramos moved to the structure in which Sidney’s Ace Hardware is now located (320 North Main Avenue). Charles Neville, Sr. was the manager. The A. W. Knauer Cigar Factory produced cigars at 618 Ohio Avenue. Sidney's last cigar business closed in 1949.

losramoscigarboxlid.gif (63355 bytes)


Industry segment written in January, 1998 by Rich Wallace

 

[ Back to Industry Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information