SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Feature Article on Jimtown School. Topic: EDUCATION
By Gene Eggleston in December, 1999

HOW DID JIMTOWN GET ITS NAME?

How about Jim English, son of pioneer Thomas Edwin English? The elder English moved from Sidney "to his farm adjoining the town" in 1828 (Sutton, History of Shelby County, 1883, p. 353).

The English property comprised two tracts, one just north of the Sidney corporation line near the railroad and the other on the southeast corner of the Russell Road-Wapakoneta Pike intersection, at the time a considerable distance from the Sidney line (Page & Smith, Historical Atlas of Shelby County, Ohio, 1875, p. 29). A turn of the century atlas has "Jas. B. English" listed as a "freeholder" in Clinton township and a property map in the same publication delineates 20.25 acres belonging to J.B. English near the Russell-Wapak intersection, the Jimtown area (Atlas and Directory of Shelby County, Ohio, 1900, pp. 19 & 61).

"The land for this school was donated by Jim English" (Barbara Adams and Betty Bevans, Shelby County, Ohio One-Room Schools, Book 2, 1996, p. 24). However, the 1875 atlas map shows a school there before Jim English is listed as a property owner in the area. The school property was on the southwest corner of the intersection, surrounded by land owned by Jno. Johnston and W. Doering.

According to local land transfer and tax records in the Recorder’s Office, the Jimtown School property was purchased Aug. 10, 1868, for $250 from Wm. and Elizabeth Doering by the Clinton Township Board of Education. The school was built soon after. The Doering family had paid taxes on the land since 1846.

 

[ Back to Education Index

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information