SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

First National Exchange Bank

The First National Exchange Bank was organized in 1899 and for the first five years, was located with the Peoples Savings and Loan Association in the Robertson Block (south side of the square). In 1904, they bought this three-story, Neo-Classical Revival one-bay building at 114 East Poplar Street on the north side of the square. This bank had been established due to an outgrowth of a law that required savings and loans associations to deposit their funds in national banks.

The center portion of this block, including this building, was destroyed by fire in 1914. The facility was immediately reconstructed on the same site and completed in 1915. In 1975, the First National Exchange Bank again moved to the south side of the square, this time into a newly-constructed building at 119 East Court Street.

Banking concerns have always vied for space fronting the courthouse square. Ten structures within the district presently house, or once housed, banking facilities. The First National Bank, while currently at the same location, has since changed names and is now known as Star Bank.

In the 1970s, this facility was operated as a discotheque called "The Bank." Today, it is used by two local businesses. There is also a newer one-story brick addition which sits on the building’s east side at street level. Architecturally, the facade is faced with marble veneer and the central entrance is flanked by two-story iconic columns that support the triangular pediment. Within the pediment’s tympanum, the foliated classical motif decorates a cartouche bearing the construction date of the building.

behrfront.gif (90846 bytes)

'Downtown' segment written in October, 1998 by Sherrie Casad-Lodge 

 

[ Back to Downtown Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information