SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Hardin - First County Seat

Once the Indian threat was resolved by the War of 1812, new pioneers begin arriving in Shelby County, Ohio, settling in different areas. They still established their homes on a county creek because water was needed for transportation, drinking, crop irrigation, etc.

David Henry came to what is now known as Pasco in 1814. Henry held many governmental posts and, in 1819, was appointed Director of the town of Sidney. He was responsible for its platting and selling of the lots. Henry kept many of the records that now shed light on the earliest days of the county. In October, 1816, the original plat for Hardin was filed. After Shelby County was formed, Hardin would serve as county seat for almost a year before it moved to Sidney.

hardinmap.gif (52729 bytes)
Original Plat of Hardin

'Downtown' segment written in October, 1998 by Sherrie Casad-Lodge 

 

[ Back to Downtown Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information