SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Philip Smith Manufacturing Company

The Philip Smith Manufacturing Company (it was located on North Main, between Canal and Shelby streets), in addition to producing corn shellers and elevator supplies, also ran an extensive foundry and machine shop for their own and custom work.

They cast bells, sugar kettles, stoves, lard presses and large quantities of hollow ware. Among their other products were cast iron architectural elements; cornices, window hood molds and particularly storefronts. Builders of the late 1800s could almost ‘catalogue shop’ for a variety of pre-fabricated cast iron designs for their structures. As "The Sidney Journal" reported in 1872, the "...Messrs. Smiths...belong to that class of men who believe in doing with their might all that their hands find to do."

During the 1890s, Shelby County residents began a well-organized campaign to lure industry to Sidney, Ohio. It included the involvement of the town council, the Board of Trade, the Board of Improvement, the Progressive Union, and the local newspapers, primarily "The Journal." In a special election on April 7, 1890, voters approved a $100,000 bond issue earmarked to lure industries to Sidney.

In 1903, businessmen formed a Commercial Club to "promote the best interests of Sidney, Ohio..." The Club published a series of booklets, such as "Sidney, A City Noted for Its Manufacturing" [1910], which in pictures and text put forth the ‘advantages of Sidney.’

1910program.gif (30037 bytes)

'Downtown' segment written in October, 1998 by Sherrie Casad-Lodge 

 

[ Back to Downtown Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information