SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Fort Loramie

Also built by General Anthony Wayne in 1795, it stood on Loramie Creek in Shelby County, Ohio. The Fort got its name from Peter Loramie the French trader who had established a trading post in the area. The fort served as an important link in the trail of forts built by General Wayne extending from the Ohio River to Lake Erie. Wayne’s tactics in fighting the Indians differed from his predecessors in that the forts he constructed were not heavily garrisoned as he moved north, closer to an Indian confrontation. This left him with more battlefield soldiers with which to fight the enemy. Harmar and St. Clair left larger detachments at the forts they constructed, leaving less troops to fight the Indians. Now, there is only a historical sign located 1/2 mile north of present-day Ft. Loramie on State Route 66 which indicates where the fort once stood.

'Indian' segment written in December, 1997 by David Lodge

 

[ Back to Indians Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information