SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Shelby County is Established

It is during the years from 1870 to 1920 period that many of Sidney’s downtown buildings were constructed. This new county existed in what used to be the northern part of Miami County and also included land in what is now Allen and Auglaize counties. It was named after General Isaac Shelby, an officer in the Revolutionary War and the first governor of Kentucky. Even though it was his namesake, it is believed that General Shelby (pictured below) did not ever visit this area.

In April 1819, the state legislature declared Shelby a new county with a population of 1,500 to 2,000. By 1820, 2,142 people lived there and in 1830, 3,671. The population in Sidney in 1840 was 713; in 1850; 1,284; in 1860; 1,997; in 1879; 2,808 and in 1880; 3,823 people. The population in the county in 1840 was 12,153; in 1850, 13,958; in 1860, 17,493; in 1870, 20,748; in 1880, 24,137; in 1890, 24,707; in 1900, 24,625; in 1910, 24,663 and in 1920, 25,923.

isaacshelby.gif (44639 bytes)

'Downtown' segment written in October, 1998 by Sherrie Casad-Lodge 

 

[ Back to Downtown Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information