SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

John Wilson
First or second-generation Irish

In 1807, the John Wilson family moved into Shelby County, Ohio, after having first lived in Warren County, Ohio. They settled on Turtle Creek about a mile east of the Thatcher settlement. A Virginian whose family emigrated from Ireland, John Wilson married a Georgian girl named Anna. Anna’s mother was a daughter of British Royalty, George III, who ran away to marry and relocate in America.

Anna had risked her life in the Revolutionary War as a dispatch courier for the Americans. John was a member of the first Board of Commissioners and helped build many roads. His son, Jesse, also spent his life here.

At the age of 12, Jesse was taken to Piqua by his parents to protect him during the War of 1812. But, in typical pioneer spirit, Jesse didn’t want to be separated from his folks, so he walked home (12 miles through dense wilderness) to be with his parents. In later years, Jesse would be fondly remembered by local residents as "Colonel Wilson, a fine old man of courtly presence and with all the old Virginian instincts."

In 1816, John Wilson built the first brick house in Shelby County. He rapidly acquired property and was relatively wealthy at the time of his death.

  
'Pioneer' segment written in October, 1997 by Sherrie Casad-Lodge

 

[ Back to Pioneer Index ]

wilsonfarmdrawing.gif (71336 bytes)

Above is the Wilson house in its earlier years. The front of the home, which now overlooks a cow pasture, originally faced a road. This road, like most in those days, followed a trail originally established by the Indians. This road is no longer in existence. Notice the cow; livestock was not penned up in early days, it was simply tagged with an owner’s mark, allowed to roam freely to graze.

wilsonfarmmonument.gif (41442 bytes)

There is a monument erected by the Shelby County Historical Society which marks the location of John Wilson’s house. This home still stands today and is seven miles west of Sidney, on Hardin-Houston Road, along Turtle Creek, one mile east.

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information