SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page

Other SCHS Products

> Become A Member

Plaques

Big Four Bridge | Bonnyconnellan Castle | Bridgeview School | Children's Home
Courthouse/Shelby County | Fairlawn High School | Monumental Building
Monarch Machine Tool | Peoples Federal S&L Assoc. | Purity | Ross Historical Center
Sidney High School | Sidney Tanning Company |Spot Restaurant | Wagner Hotel | Whitby Place


Shelby County Courthouse
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1997

courthouse.jpg (81445 bytes)

 


This courthouse is actually the third in the county’s history and is considered to be one of the finest in the nation. It was included with 124 courthouses across the country in a 1977 traveling exhibit. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1881.

Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling

Members / Non-Members


Fairlawn High School
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society and Fairlawn Alumni in 1997

fairlawn.jpg (57104 bytes)
On May 8, 1957, the Fairlawn Board of Education purchased twenty acres of land from Samuel F. and Bertha Dormire. With Peterson Construction Company of Wapakoneta, Ohio, as the main contractor, the school was built and equipped for approximately $750,000 and opened for classes in August, 1958, for grades nine through twelve.
 
Non-Members:   $25 + $2.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $2.50 postage and
handling
Member / Non-Member

Monumental Building
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1997

membuild.jpg (89462 bytes)

A fund was started in Sidney by surviving soldiers and their friends, immediately after the close of the Civil War. Initially, the desire was to erect a marble shaft to memorialize the war dead, but when an anonymous letter to the editor suggested a building instead, a lottery was conceived to raise money for this project, and was completed in 1877.

The gabled center pediment of the facade contains a niche holding the bronze "Soldier in Blue", (‘Sergeant Baker’) created by the J.W. Fiske Company (NY) and installed in 1900.

Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling
Member / Non-Member
 
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information