SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page

Other SCHS Products

> Become A Member

Plaques

Big Four Bridge | Bonnyconnellan Castle | Bridgeview School | Children's Home
Courthouse/Shelby County | Fairlawn High School | Monumental Building
Monarch Machine Tool | Peoples Federal S&L Assoc. | Purity | Ross Historical Center
Sidney High School | Sidney Tanning Company |Spot Restaurant | Wagner Hotel | Whitby Place


Spot Restaurant
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1997

cooks.jpg (83829 bytes) This eatery was opened in 1907 when a man, Spot Miller, parked a chuck wagon on the corner of Court and Ohio across from the Shelby County Courthouse. Regulations prohibited food establishments on wheels, so he removed the cart and created a permanent structure for the restaurant. Six years later, in 1913, Mr. Miller sold the restaurant to Joseph Cook, when it then became known as ‘Cook’s Spot.’ It still says Cook’s Spot on the sides of the current building which was built in 1941 after a New Year’s Eve fire destroyed the business.
Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members / Non-Members

Wagner Hotel
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1995

waghouse.jpg (129676 bytes)

Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling


A one story tavern called Hailman House was built on this site as early as 1830. This structure was then incorporated into the Wager House [Hotel] at ground-level facing the Courthouse Square. In the 1860’s, this building was purchased from Mr. Amann by Mathias Wagner for a nominal sum. In 1863, he then built it into a three-story building. The Wagner House [Hotel] served as the center of hospitality and social activity in Sidney for more than a century.



Members / Non-Members

Whitby Place/GreatStone Castle
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1995

whitbypl.jpg (110392 bytes)

Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling


Whitby Place was conceived and designed by W.H.C. Goode, one of the wealthiest men in Shelby County and the owner of the American Steel Scraper Company. It is now known as the Greatstone Castle, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.  Construction of the mansion began in 1892 and was completed in 1895 at a cost of $35,000.




Members / Non-Members
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information