SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page

Other SCHS Products

> Become A Member



Plaques

Big Four Bridge | Bonnyconnellan Castle | Bridgeview School | Children's Home
Courthouse/Shelby County | Fairlawn High School | Monumental Building
Monarch Machine Tool | Peoples Federal S&L Assoc. | Purity | Ross Historical Center
Sidney High School | Sidney Tanning Company |Spot Restaurant | Wagner Hotel | Whitby Place


Monarch Machine Tool Company
Monarch Machine Tool Company Plaque

The Monarch Machine Tool Company began in Sidney in 1909.  The company manufactured lathes and machine tools, and at one time was one of Sidney’s largest employers.  Employment grew dramatically during World War I and II as government orders for engine lathes increased.  In addition to being awarded many prestigious Navy E awards for superior achievement, Monarch was innovative in employment practices and known for its support of the community. 

Many Sidney residents worked at the Monarch at one time or another.

Non-Members:   $25.00 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16.00 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members / Non-Members

Peoples Federal Savings & Loan Association
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1997

peoplesfed.jpg (130886 bytes)

Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling

In 1917, famed architect, Louis H. Sullivan, came to Sidney to make preliminary sketches. The new ‘Thrift’ building was completed only a year later, on May 31, 1918. To this day, this building is considered to be one of Louis Sullivan’s finest works and is his only unaltered bank building remaining in Ohio.

Members / Non-Members

The Purity
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1997

purity.jpg (69816 bytes)
Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling
The Purity was founded in 1914 by Evans Johnson and was located on the corner of Poplar and Ohio. It was the local ice cream parlor and hangout for young and old folks for decades. Johnny Kookootsides started working there in 1919 and became sole owner in 1949.

Members / Non-Members

William A. Ross, Jr., Historical Research Center
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1999

rosscenter.jpg (69794 bytes) Completed in 1902, the William A. Ross, Jr., Historical Center was originally constructed by industrialist William Haslup.  The two-story frame building rests on a stone foundation made of rock-faced ashlar with entrances facing both North and Main streets.  Long used as a funeral parlor, the structure was built as a personal
residence and is one of the most impressive homes in Shelby County, Ohio.  The Shelby County Historical Society completed the purchase of the Adams Funeral Home on Thursday, May 6, 1999. The home at North Main Avenue and North Street in Sidney has been converted into headquarters for the Historical Society and the William A. Ross Jr., Historical Center
Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members / Non-Members
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information